TIME TO CHANGE!
Fashion Design? Isn’t that something only girls study?
Fashion Design? Why do you wanna become a tailor?
Fashion Design? It’s expensive. The course is only for riches who spend lavishly!
Fashion Design? Dude! Fashion designers are gay. Don’t!
Fashion Design? Fashion design students smoke, dope and are alcoholic. Don’t get in there. Don’t.
From a distant aunt’s cousin’s son’s brother-in-law to auto drivers who drop me at college, I’ve heard it everywhere and from almost everyone.
I couldn’t help but share this visual from a magazine-shoot featuring Tara Lynn who shut down all those who associated size with beauty! Tara looked gorgeous and boosted confidence in millions of plus sized women. She set an example and made millions of teenage girls who are lavishly under diet. Being skinny is unhealthy and has got nothing to do with looking beautiful. Beauty is independent of colour or size. Plus sized women are NOT ugly! Big is beautiful too. (Oh. Please leave Aishwarya Rai alone! She just gave birth to a baby. A healthy mom is all that a child needs to stay healthy and sound. I am sure, Mrs. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan knows better than any of us on when to gain or loose weight. It is an individual’s choice. Society should accept the person for what they are and stop judging!)
Like I had quoted earlier, “There are more than enough stereotypes out there”.
Stereotypes based on race/nationality.
* All Middle Easterners are terrorists – How is that fair?
* All black people are good at sports.
* All Asians are studious, have squinty eyes and speak the same language – Ignorance!
* Africans commune with wild animals in day to day life while Indians still drive elephants – Heights of ignorance!
Stereotypes based on gender/sexuality.
* All gay men are feminine – They simply aren’t!
* All women love to cook and clean – Sick mentality.
* Women in power are mean, lonely and bitchy – Straight out of jealously?
* All step-mothers are wicked and cruel – Seriously? Are we still stuck up with Cinderella stories for 5yr olds?
* All men are tough and a real man doesn’t cry.
Stereotypes based on physical appearance.
* Blonde women are dumb – How exactly is hair colour supposed to decide a person’s intelligence?
* People sporting deadlocks smoke weed.
Before stereotyping next time, think if you would liked to be judged the same way. Let us spread the word and create awareness. When I was stereotyped for being a non-Hindi speaker, I did feel offended but also bothered to patiently explain almost everyone who had such queries and today things have changed drastically! Most of my friends in college can now not only differentiate between Tamil and Telugu but have this cult following for the Southern film industry! Life has drastically changed over the last three years. I penned my first blogpost on 11th April 2009. I’ll be entering 4th year of fashion blogging in a couple of days and my blog titled DESIGNER PURUSHU is now PURUSHU ARIE.
IT IS TIME TO CHANGE.
It is time to start respecting ourselves for who we are.
It is time we stopped and actually got to know the INDIVIDUAL and not the STEREOTYPE!
So what is the worst kind of stereotyping you have dealt with? Do share with me and also remember to share this post and pass on the message.