badge logo
Most read men's fashion blog in India. Rated among best fashion bloggers in India. Fashion Designer, Illustrator, stylist and columnist.
banner
About      Contact       Collaborations     Press

Tips for Creative Ability Test Preparation

Firstly most aspirants need to understand that NIFT is not looking for fine arts students. For a design entrance, the idea matters just as much as the skill.  CREATIVITY is the key word. Basic illustration skills like proportions, light & shade  helps in visualization and representation skills. Otherwise, make it quirky. Make your designs/artworks different from what’s already existing.

Tips for Preparation:

• Practice is the key to success. Try to sketch almost anything and everything you come across.
  • Browse through various newspapers, magazines and online sites.
  • Take ideas from various advertisements, posters, banners etc., you come across.
  • Keep your eraser away from you while practicing. It’ll help your lines become more bold and confident.
  • Give importance to detailing where ever required, like the face of a human figure or the human’s outfits etc.
  • Try to master the skills of human illustration. Concentrate more in proportions, form etc.
  • Calligraphy skills come handy in posters, banner design, etc. Learn and practice different styles of lettering as they can come handy.

In the Examination Hall:

• The Creative Ability Test would commence after the General Ability Test. Students are usually excited with their GAT experiences. Note this. Clear your mind, forget the morning session (GAT session), come afresh for the CAT.
  • Please use quality colour pencils. Best and economic option would be faber castle colour pencils with at least 24 shades in it.
  • Planning is very important. First plan your ideas and then start on with sketching.
  • Start off with simple ones like logo design or t-shirt design. Go for the complicated ones like scene drawing later.
  • Please!! Plan your time and try to complete the paper.

ALL THE BEST

February 3, 2013

Its a lot about on-the-spot creativity right?

• February 3, 2013

well..
    faber castle 24 shades is probably d best..and economic option..
    u can very well use steadtler.. if u can..
    i myself used faber castle 🙂

February 3, 2013

hi purushotham , could you tell me what type of pencils & sketchs i have to carryfor CAT, also plz tell me what type would be better for them? plz help me out purush ,thanks for creating such a wonderful blog.

• February 3, 2013

Hi. So I'm a science student. Medical, moreover. Without math. And out of the blue, one day, fashion caught my interest. And I want it. Really badly. Are there any subjects that I have to master for the entrance? I know I have to be able to do basic math. Also, I'm decent at art but not anything great. What do I do about that?

• Pooja Singh
      February 6, 2017

Hi Diya! Same here actually. Did you get through?

• February 3, 2013

I am gonna give the NIFT exam in the coming year 10th feb 2013. I am scared 'cause I take too much time in completing a question as I think a lot on giving my best. My weak points are human figures please help. and how to be more creative with colors !!!!! Reply ASAP

• February 3, 2013

ty

• February 3, 2013

Creativity is about expressing yourself. Bold lines, feathered lines, curved lines, wrong lines.. what ever it is… keep the tracing papers and erasers away from you while you are practicing!

• February 3, 2013

is tracing allowed???????

• February 3, 2013

CREATIVE is the word! Make it unique and different, something that will make it stand out when piled up with 100 other students work 😉

• February 3, 2013

in cat section 1 shud be creative nd diff or natural and usual…??

February 3, 2013

gr8 blog n thx a tonne for d amazin tips….
    🙂

• vidhya
    December 11, 2016

In CAT exam we also have to explain whatever we are drawing or about the color we are choosing and why , but I don’t know what to write in that column or what should I explain . especially to get good marks . can u plz tell me ?

• vidhya
        December 17, 2016

Thanks dear

• Rachana Das
    January 29, 2017

What is the best way to prepare for NIFT CAT??
    Please suggest me

• Aprita patel
    February 2, 2017

i am going to attend NIFT exam and i am very nervous for CAT paper how i come across ??what i study or not i can’t decide…….

• namra khan
    February 2, 2017

Can anyone explain the concept of drawing emotions like angry happy etc.

• February 3, 2017

hey hi! I’m giving entrance ths month.. can u pls explain me how to depict emotions through colours? please..

• Sangita kumari
    February 11, 2017

Plz tell us how to depict the emotions on paper sheet . Plz give the example

• kir
    March 21, 2017

sir only practicing will be enough .i never on my own i always copy from picture .how should i improve ?
    what are things in drawing (like perspective drawing……..) we should practice

• kir
    March 21, 2017

sir only practicing will be enough .i never draw on my own i always copy from picture .how should i improve ?
    what are things in drawing (like perspective drawing……..) we should practice