SHOP | © 2017 PURUSHU ARIE

NIFT Entrance Exam Preparation

All throughout my school days, if there was something where I consistently performed well, it was art and craft related stuff. By the time I reached my 11th grade, I realized PCM is not my thing and it’s then I had decided on either architecture or design.

While I was still confused for next one and a half years between constructing buildings or designing garments, it was during my 12th class pre-board exams that I had taken my final call on fashion design as the whole glamour-style-and-luxury driven industry seemed more exciting and inviting. It’s then I decided, I want to become a fashion designer and National Institute of Fashion Technology is THE place where I should belong.

The forms for NIFT entrance exam were out during mid-December. I applied for the design entrance exam and was anxiously waiting to receive the admit card which reached my home quite late, almost 5-7 days before the exam date.

Exam pattern and the Preparation

I never knew the format of the exam until I checked out the sample question papers that I received. We didn’t have many blogs or other online resources then to help us. The NIFT design entrance has two rounds, written test (80% of total marks) and a situation test (20% of total marks).

1st round is a written entrance exam consisting two papers General Ability Test (GAT) and Creative Ability Test (CAT).

GAT has 5 sub-sections in multiple-choice format and covers 40% of total marks.

1. Analytical ability test – Simple 10th standard level mathematics.
  2. Logical Ability – Time taking but comes easier with practice.
  3. Communication Ability – Test your grammar. Synonyms, acronyms etc.
  4. English Comprehension – Give you a paragraph and ask questions based on that.
  5. Business domain test – General knowledge and current affairs. We had many questions on trade, WTA etc.

2nd round is a creative ability test where they test the student’s creativity and it covers 40% of total marks. Students can focus on understanding topics like elements of design, basic elements of art like perspective, light and shade etc., human figure proportions, decorative art, commercial art like brochure, poster, logo design etc.

We were asked the following questions:

1. Design a T-Shirt for Sports Day occasion.
  2. Sketch a scene at a railway station or a handicraft festival.
  3. Design a poster for Women Empowerment.

I used 24-shade faber castle dry colour pencils for the exam.

2nd Round:

Students who have cleared the first round will be shortlisted for the 2nd round. It is basically to test the hands-on skill of a student. Material handling and 3-D thinking is very important here. We were given materials like pastel sheets, yarn, wire, synthetic clay, glaze sheets etc., and we were asked to make a flower vase or a memento for art competition.
Read more about NIFT SITUATION TEST.

February 3, 2013

in the sample queations given along with app forms…its written general knowledge and awareness will be tested.but the sample qns available on internet doesnt provide for such sections…so wich one is rite????

February 3, 2013

can u plz tell me whether they will povide us sheets to draw or we have to carry our own???n wat else we have to carry along…???can u plz show us some samples of posters ..so that we can get some idea wat kind of posters can we draw dere…

February 3, 2013

hey i m little worried abt d colors to be used in cat…becz all i know is water n poster colors..as it is very clearly mentioned that only dry colours are allowed..so i wanted to know will d pencil colous give d effects like d water n poster colour…plz help me purushotham…which colours i should use..so as to give gud effects….. plz reply soon….

February 3, 2013

hi purushotham , could you plz tell me the type of pencils & sketchs i have to carry for CAT , also plz tell which will be better for them , plz help me out purushotham , thanks for creating such a wonderful blog.

hello ,
    Iam applying for b.design , Iam taking coaching from this institute in hyderabad and I wanted to know if there is more weightage for the GAT .. and are the quant questions simple ? Iam not really good at math so Iam a little apprehensive 🙁 I almost am done with my logical and english and reasoning preparation though .

February 3, 2013

HEY IHAVE JUST APPLIED FOR NIFT B.F.TECH APPAREL PRODUCTION CAN U PLS TELL ME ABT THE KIND OF SITUATION TEST I'LL HAVE TO FACE CAN U GIVE ME A FEW TIPS FOR GDS AND INTEVIEWS

more money???
    no idea…

p.s. u shld kno which course u r intrstd in ..it's nt lik i tell u d intrsting course…. and u like it out of blue!!

I've given the details of each course.k
    I lik FD, i opted for Fd.

money comes l8r. if u do well in any course.. u r gonna get 'bills'

• spik
    February 3, 2013

whic course s better and more interesting? And has more money? PG in Mgt or tech?

• February 3, 2013

i think that was my latest post isnt it???

February 3, 2013

well hi…i was jst searchin for sample papers for nift ug entrance(gat n cat) bt cudnt find ne…can u jst help me out by providin sme sample papers…also r d papers or tests for fashn desgn, fashn commun, aparl etc diffrnt???

• February 3, 2013

yeah….lyk i hav a chance.
    well if i get in c u….tanxx 4 ur help.

• February 3, 2013

hey Purushu,i am jayanth…i finished 12th last year and want to join NIFT.a bit nervous about the entrace tests.
    is it necessary that we pass in the situation test?…

• February 3, 2013

u are not asked to sketch/illustrate anything for the situation test. You'll be asked to create a 3-d model. That's all. All your illustrating skills are tested in the creative ability test.

for more on situation test check out dis link.

hi
    i am a 12 pass student preparing for the nift exam i am gud at object drawing but could not draw whats on mind properly…its dat wht is askd in situation test so how could i prepare it..
    and for the crafs making things could b more specific how could we prepare for it..
    plz help if u ca
    i wil b vry gatful

• February 3, 2013

nope. ur entrance exam for ug exam wil b in FEBRUARY. d dates won't clash.

you can simply explain in points dude. giving an introduction to your theme, and how you have coordinated your theme elements with ur model that u;ve created.

chillax!
    u've still got long time to go. u have more-than-enuf time to improve your basic illustration skills.

p.s. nift is not looking for any fine arts students, u just need to b gud with ur basics.

• MANISHA RAWAT
    February 3, 2013

HELLO PURSU IAM MANISHA IAM IN 11TH STANDARD AND I WANT TO GIVE NIFT ENTRANCE EXAM IN 2012 BUT IAM NOT A VERY GOOD ARTIST AND IAM LITTLE CONFUSE ABOUT THE SITUATION TEST BECAUSE I SAW THE SAMPLE PAPERS OF THAT BUT STILL IAM NERVOUS ABOUT HOW TO REPRESENT THE THEME

• February 3, 2013

i'll try to. bt it'll take some more time thou..

• February 3, 2013

can u provide us sample papers for the GAT?(if u hav any)

hey spik.
    NIFT is not looking for fine arts students. But you need to be good with your basic sketching and illustration skills.(like contours, silhouettes etc)

They expect you to be more conceptual.

Paypackage. average this yr for PG was something around 3.5 per annum.

• spik
    February 3, 2013

hi purushu .. im doin final year in btech.. wanna do PG in design.pls answer the following questions:
    1. Im not a very good artist. Do i need to practice drawing anything i feel lke now n den just to practice fr t exam?
    2.Wats t pay package lke after graduation? Considering i graduate wen im 24.. how muc would i probably be makin per month by the time im 25? ( I wanna get rich fast 😛 )

• February 3, 2013

yep. There was no negative marking when I gave the entrance exam. but, the nift introduced negative marking from 2009.

February 3, 2013

my daughter is preparing for NIFT entrance exam.Is there any Negative marks for this..

welcome :))

February 3, 2013

ok, thanks a looot, that really got rid of a lot of confusion, really.

thanks.

dude..
    go through all the blogposts from the beginning.
    i bet u'll have an idea of how to prepare for the exam.

February 3, 2013

hi, m goin 2 appear 4 the nift entrance exam this year. m a 12th standard student n i m very confused as i donno hw to prepare for this test. as of now m very nervous abt the xm. can u help me out??

• February 3, 2013

There was no negative markings when I gave the entrance exam.
    But, students informed me that negative marking was there last year.

February 3, 2013

hi, im going to give the nift entrance exam this year, i was just wondering if there's any negative marking. most exams have, but the sample papers dont indicate that there is any. and thanks a lot, really good site.

• February 3, 2013

well. you should be in a design background to do your postgraduation in design.

yep. i am ready to help u out.

do post me if you have any doubts.

• February 3, 2013

hi I am Kankana.I am in my B.Sc final year.I want to give the entrance for M.sc in design.Can you please help me in anyway?Cause I am not from this field so I am totally blanck about how to prepare and which coaching to take.Please help me out.

i secured 959 rank please help me abt counselling

@aakriti:
    refer to this page on courses!

also refer to various categories on the right bar.. like acessory design, fashin design etc 🙂

• February 3, 2013

hi… iam aakriti. m studying in 12th right now and want to persue my furthur studies frm nift… but i dont know 4 wat course i shud go for……. help me plzzzz…. as im ignorant about the courses and its advantagessss

• February 3, 2013

Hey! I cleared the first phase of NIFT entrance… can u just give me some tips for the preparation of the situation test Please??

I have just a vague-ish idea about it..

For example there was this sample question – Design a table for an IT professional… So we have to make a 3D model of it?? and what points do they test you for?

• February 3, 2013

hey!!I was wondering if you could help me out with the Time mgt for the gat paper,a few tips could help as i aint really fast at the math section and analytical part,so is there an order or sequence i should follow while attepmting this paper,lemme know please.

• February 3, 2013

hey purushu….hi..to improve my drawing skills,I have decided to solve past yr CAT papers of NIFT as well as drawing basic objects of daily use and then moving on to more complex ones.so…will that be all or there is something more that i should do?please help me out 🙂

• February 3, 2013

hi every one.by reading this blog many of my doubts are clear.iam akshara doing my 12th now.i aam very intrested in fashion designing.but little bit worried about the entrance.because of maths……..!i was excellent in drawing,designing,creativity everything.but only problem with maths……!can anyone suggest me how to win on maths???): to suggest me pls mail to varshaakshara@gmail.com.

• February 3, 2013

I’ve been checking out this blog it’s been really helpful. I was not understanding what I was doing. But your blog helped me a lot. Thank you very much and all the best in future.
    online gate exam papers

• Vaibhav
    February 3, 2013

Hey i gave paper dis time..i have attempted 76 ques out of 150..bcs of negative marking..paper was tough than previous 2 papers..my cat went really gud…can u pls tell me what are my chances for getting selected in second round..waiting for ur reply…thnx

HEY SIR I GAVE NIFT B.DES ENTRANCE
    MY CAT WENT SUPERB
    I DID 75 QUES OUT OF 150 IN GAT.
    MY CHANCES FOR SELECTION
    PLZZZ REPLY

obvious!
    you need colours for Creative Ability Test!!

• February 3, 2013

is there any colours needed??….plzzz tel me!!

February 3, 2013

is there negative marking in the paper this year??please do reply…

February 3, 2013

The second question what they ask for 25marks is it completely sketching work ?
    coz, they say no colours to be used in it.

February 3, 2013

Can't I use oil pastels or plastic crayons?
    Do u think pencil colours are the best?

• February 3, 2013

hi purushu,what type of coloure i can use when i shell draw a poster????///

DRY PENCIL COLOURS 😉

hi purshu
    my name is harshit
    i did my bcom and i am applying for nift pg. any tips?

• gyanesh

hi purshu,
    this is gyanesh,im in 12th at present and will be giving my board exaam this month..
    im realy interested in fashion designing but im too late for the admission forms..
    i eagerly wanna be a part of the nift community!!
    what should i do??

• February 3, 2013

hi purushu,what type of coloure i can use when i shell draw a poster????

hi purushu,
    this is anirudh, i am appearing for the entrance this year. i feel i am good at logical and reasoning bu the problem comes in MATHS. i have hardly 25 days left. how do u want me to schedule my work….plss do help me!.. i really want to crack into it!