badge logo
Most read men's fashion blog in India. Rated among best fashion bloggers in India. Fashion Designer, Illustrator, stylist and columnist.
banner
About      Contact       Collaborations     Press

NIFT Counselling

I still remember the first day when I stood scanning the busy mood in the air outside the New Delhi railway station. The buildings right opposite to the station looked damn old. They were dirty and dilapidated. The place was highly polluted. The air pollution, noise pollution and pollution of every kind. An auto driver literally snatched my bag from my hand and asked me to take his auto.

I imagined in contrary, about the Chennai Central, which was much more organised and unpolluted than what I saw here. Undoubtedly it wasn’t the reception I expected in Delhi.

I had arrived at New Delhi to attend my NIFT counselling session. I was still damn confused about what course and center to choose. Finally, I was heading towards the fruit, I earned from months of hardwork and strain. I got rank 1 which meant the choices were right open for me to choose any course & center that I wanted.

Well, let me give you a small brief up – Following the NIFT Situation Test, the NIFT declares the final all India ranks of the NIFT Entrance Exam, at the various NIFT Centres and in the NIFT website. The Students will be called to NIFT New Delhi for their Counselling session. NIFT Counselling is a small meet up, where they check out your documents in original, and you will be asked to choose the course, department and your preferred NIFT centre according to your rank.
Comming back…We browsed through the hotel rooms that were available in Pahar Ganj, just opposite to the station. The place had plethora of hotels, restaurants and a huge market. It was congested af. Hawkers literally request you to buy something xD
I spent the entire night debating if I should choose NIFT Chennai centre or NIFT Delhi centre.

I had previously decided to choose Fashion Design in the counselling. But I still haven’t decided about my centre, and with my NIFT counselling session tomorrow… ahhh, more mental debates.

NIFT Delhi centre without any doubt have the best faculties, best brains etc. Delhi’s fashion has always made headlines. People worship fashion in this city. In fact, Delhi is the host of one of the most prestigious fashion week of India, the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week. On contrary, In Chennai, people believe in a minimalistic lifestyle. But, Chennai is my hometown; NIFT Chennai is hardly a kilometre away from my home. Is it worth travelling 2000km for the same education that I get here in Chennai???? Every NIFT seniors suggested me to take Delhi centre as its the best.

Next morning, we took an auto from Pahar Ganj, and headed towards the college with necessary documents and files. One thing that is common between Delhi and Chennai is its traffic. It sucks in both the cities. On the way, I travelled through Janpath, I was amused by Delhi’s greenery. I have never seen a city this green. Moreover, I started loving the Delhi roads, as they were broad and neat. I had a nice view of India gate from the auto. By the time I reached Hauz Khas, I realized that Pahar Ganj is only a dirty side of city.

The first thing that I noticed about NIFT New Delhi was that it is unnoticeable! We were searching for the college near the Gulmohar Park. Finally, we found it near an Axis Bank ATM. The college has an excellent atmosphere inside. Though the building complex doesn’t look too big, it well planned and looks beautiful. We were headed towards the IG Hall where the counselling session was to start. By the time we reached, the hall was already filled with so many other students along with their parents. There was a screen where the statuses of the seat details were put up. The counselling session started with a brief introduction by one of the NIFT faculty. He spoke about NIFT, and gave a brief introduction about the courses offered. He told us about the “prestigious” institution. He also briefed up about the departments.

NIFT offers various departments, namely Fashion Design, Leather Design, Accessory Design, Textile Design, Knitwear Design and Fashion Communication.
Then they were directly into the business. Being the first ranker, my name was called up first. It was a weird but great feeling to walk inside the room first, as though I’ve just scaled a Himalayan challenge. My documents and certificates were verified and I was forwarded to another room adjacent to the hall. Then, I was asked about the department and course that I wanted. I chose Fashion Design in NIFT Delhi centre. We received the fee receipt after submitting the fee draft. Then we took a small tour of the college campus. Later, we met some brokers in Gautam Nagar regarding the accommodation.
After all, counselling was just a small meet up with the authorities. Its just to verify the original documents, choosing the department and centre and submission of the fee.

After having a small tour of New Delhi, we headed back to the railway station. I could finally breathe a sigh of relief when I reached back home in Chennai. Delhi was a very different city & it was going to be rather unusual for the next 4 years.

• February 3, 2013

@shwetha
    of course.. u can apply in general category wid your Indian address 🙂

hi,
    i am vivek from delhi.
    my mom is interested in doing fashion course from NIFT as she is very good in sketching.
    She makes sketches like a professional designer.
    But she is a housewife and 50 years old.
    Now at this age she wants do something and she doesn't know from where to start.
    Can you guide us.
    my mail id is : vivek.cia@gmail.com

hieee..
    after 10th i have done fashion designing and garment technology from polytechnic.And i really want to increase my knoweledge in this field. As i love doing sketching and designing .So can i apply for any course in nift.

• divya

hiii…
    i gt 1063 rank in gen categry cud u plz guide whr wud i b getng n wch cours probably….
    my counslng is n 26
    hpng 2 gt a reply earlier dan dis…..
    cz i m lil anxious…

• Supriya

hello purushu,
    I got admission for fd at gandhinagar. thanks a lot for your help . the blog really helped me in preparing for the entrance.
    And thanks for the counselling about centers. Sadly I couldnt get into delhi or mumbai as they were filled up by my turn. but i m quite happy with ganndhinagar and looking forward to it.
    thanks a lot again.
    Anonymous with 79th rank in obc category.

February 3, 2013

my rank is 1083 gen.. nd m in de waiting list.. wat r my chances of getting thru nift nd which centre????

• February 3, 2013

Ha ha…thanx…ull surely catch me on campus soon as your junior!!

• saurav

i got 566 rank in general where i got t.d. in nift

• February 3, 2013

hey….i know dis will sound weird..but m still confused with my btech or nift…i wont ask for suggestions dis tym..but i want u to tell me…hows nift? n kya mujhe btech ki line chor ke…shd i go to nift??? m really stuck up….actually mah main prob is dat…by doing nift…aage future me koi bhi line fir khuli ni hai…n if i do btech ..toh i can do anything i want…in future….toh..abhi kya?

February 3, 2013

Being a part of NIFT faculty, I suggest each student-Always prefer course than centre in which you are interested!!

• February 3, 2013

hello…i got 140 rank in obc…and i want to take fd so can u tell me…which nift centre is good for fd…(line wise)…n mujhe kaunsa nift centre mil sakta hai just for fd…

February 3, 2013

hieee…..i got 452 rank im in waitlisted Is dis rank in general or waitlisted rank is 452 ??????? can u help me im just confused!!!!!

February 3, 2013

hii..i got 1148 rank in general category..is there chances for me of getting any coarse in any nift center…pls guide me..

February 3, 2013

Hey! I got 456 Rank in GENERAL 🙁 I knw its 2 bad.. M vry mch tensd n worried fr counselin nw.. I dnt thnk will gt FD/FC in d bst centrs.. M damn cnfusd wht 2 do n wht 2 kp up as optns.. Pls hlp me!! Shud i prefr d stream or d centr????? – NITIN

February 3, 2013

hi…..i got 323 rank in obc category….i wanna knw which course can i get nd in which centre….pls help me….i m very confused….

• February 3, 2013

@kawaldeep Singh:

u may get more than one branch or center. so I cannot tell anything in particular.

SC-150 is nt equivalent to gen 150. Gen 150 has a better edge over SC 150, as more seats are availabe for gen.150 🙂

• February 3, 2013

I got 563 rank in general category… I wanted fc…but I think i won't get it? D:
    pls tell me the branch and the college that I might be able to get with this rank?

And another question- Is the SC 150 rank equivalent to general 150 rank?

And I think I'll be able to get admission in Symbiosis inst. of design too… and might get my desired stream.
    Which one do you suggest??
    I'm in a great fix because if I want admission in NIFT then I got to drop Symbiosis completely.
    :S

Pls reply!!! PRONTO!! :3

February 3, 2013

Can you please tell me the order in which the seats are filled at nift, first tell the branch that gets filled in the order and then the place.
    thanking you

February 3, 2013

thanks purushu for replying.
    hope my friend gets into AD at chennai.

February 3, 2013

My friend has got 597 rank in general category. She is shortlisted. The waitlist is upto rank 1200 for general category.
    She wants to do accessory designing. What are her chances of getting into chennai campus? and also what are chances of her getting into any another campus offering accessory designing?
    pls help

Hi,
    My freind gave nift entrance this year and her rank is 427. She wants fc as her course could she get into mumbai or banglore or hydrabad.
    Plz reply.

hi,
    I gave the nift entrance this year and bagged 79 th(obc non creamy) rank. I want fashion design as my course and i want it in mumbai
    what are my chances of getting in and which centers should i choose if not delhi and mumbai.
    please help

• February 3, 2013

hey,
    i'm varnika & i jst gave d situation test yesterday……n it ws gud!!! but d problem which is hindering me is dat i was supposed 2 make a toy n i choose d topic "care of girl child"…nw the problem is dat my concept ws gud bt i actually couldn't xactly make it in a toy form?????? i'm really confused will they like it r not

• February 3, 2013

i got GEN 702 PROVISIONALLY WAITLISTED rank and 609 PROVISIONALLY WAITLISTED general rank in this year b.ds results so is i get any seat in nift
    if yes pls give me some information about counselling of nift and is i can get admission in nift………pls help me……

• February 3, 2013

Heyy..my brother got 253 rank in general and all India 287 rank in technology.He is in wait list now. Which center is he likely to get?

• February 3, 2013

hey..
    well i need to solicit some mandatory information bout the centre selectn accordng to d ranks..well i wish to get into mumbai for fashion desgng or fashn commnctn so please cud u help me in making out which centre fillz from d 2nd place onwardz after delhi..!!!
    it would b great help
    tkcr
    cheerz

well ma id is: samayerakapoor@gmail.com

• February 3, 2013

FREE SEMINAR for Students Aspiring to become Designer @MARATHA MITRA MANDAL (Regd.), D-4, FAIZ ROAD,KAROL BAGH, New Delhi – 110005 On 5th Sept 2010 (11:00 am to 1:00 pm), Limited seats confirm yours call at 9999333066 or visit http://www.mydesigninventory.com

• deepika
    May 30, 2016

hi this is deepika…..
    my common merit rank is31;cateogory rankis 2
    will i get fashion design in nift delhi

• palak gupta
    June 2, 2016

Hey.
    This is palak Gupta.
    My common merit rank is 42.
    ND category rank is 32. Will I get FD in NIFT Delhi?

• palak gupta
        June 5, 2016

Thankyou
        But the seats are alloted according to common merit rank or category merit rank.?
        And FD is best in which center? Delhi or mumbai?

• palak gupta
            June 6, 2016

Ty for the details
            But I am asking about the fashion designing course not the accessory designing course.